12 November 2012

Darth Malgus - KM Conversion + Kit Bash

I've been nose to the grindstone since I got up this morning, so I thought it was time for a little mindless, albeit constructive, grind session. . .

I acquired KM Anakin Skywalker (KST002) back in September. My original intent was to use this as a base figure to convert to the Emperor Palpatine: simple, effective, unique. I shortly thereafter acquired KM seated Emperor Palpatine, and while this in and of itself did not preclude doing a walking one, I am not so great a fan of the Emperor (aka Darth Sidious), that I needed two renditions of the character in my collection.

But first the review. . . This is an all-metal figure cast in 4 pieces + base. Given the issue # (341), I dodged a major bullet: the casting is quite clean, and the detail commendably sharp throughout. In fact, the only real criticisms about this casting are both sculptural in nature: the proportions are off, and the hands were given a short shrift. 

So, what to do. . . One of my favorite characters of the SWEU is Darth Malgus, a prototypical conflation of Anakin/Darth Vader that flourished ca. 3650 BY (Great Galactic War in the era of the Old Republic). As it is unlikely that anyone will produce a miniature of this character--and I can but drool over Sideshow's masterpiece--I figured why not?

To date I have ground-out the head in the cowl, as well as removed the extraneous portions of garments on the upper legs. The legs have been tentatively glued together and pegged, and the neck opening for the head has been drilled-out.

More of an introduction than anything else, this will be a VERY L-O-N-G term project that I will work on as time and inclination allow. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment