09 March 2013

Josef Mai -- Prepwork: Phase (1)

Let the games begin. . .

One of the things that bothered me the most about this bust were the buttons: they were not only asymmetrical, but they were not "Crowned". Yes, I am well aware that not all Imperial German buttons were embossed, but the ones on Mai's jacket definitely were:


To have flat, assymetrical metallic buttons would be doing this bust a grave disservice.

Given the scale and the relatively few buttons to be enhanced, I would have seriously considered modeling the Crowns in situ if not for the flatness of the buttons and the manifest asymmetry (historicity aside, electing to do the jacket buttons as flat [as opposed to domed], while admit- tedly easier, was a bad choice.). And since the domed surface would enhance any inherent asymmetry, I decided to sculpt a single button, mold it, and cast 5 new buttons.

Step 1: Making the button. This is not quite as easy as it might sound, given the 3-dimensional aspects of the item. I made the button from MS, punching out the "blank" with a piece of 1/8" brass tubing. Once cured, the blank was mounted on a PUR rod with CA+, and shaped with file, blade, and sandpaper.

10.03.2013

Step 2: Modeling the Crown. Admittedly, I was not looking forward to this step; but after having done/reworked all the Red Skull's decorations and insignia at half the scale, how bad could it be? Using ProCreate as my medium, it was not bad at all. The Crown is now roughed-in, and I am letting the putty set-up for an hour give or take, before finalizing the work and putting it in the oven to cure. FOLLOW-UP: DONE!

Step 3. I won't do this for another week or so, but the next step is obviously molding--and subsequently casting--the buttons.

PS--I also roughed-in the right side of the face. . . the difference is striking!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Augie, I have this bust waiting for me to pick up at my local post office. Any chance I could buy a set of those resin buttons from you to enhance my version of Mai?

    Kreston

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kreston!

    High praise indeed! Just sent you an email. . .

    THANKS!

    Augie

    ReplyDelete