28 May 2013

Jean Vingeanne - Prep & Assembly (1-C)

I am happy to report another busy day. . . Had to squeeze 'em in while the getting was good, 'cause the rest of the week looks pretty dismal, what with month-end, etc.

The day was once again spent with the Rhino, and my favorite Martian of the moment. Not much to report on the former, more at touching-up and cleaning-up before moving on to the next phase. And I did put out feelers for the display base. . .

Re: the latter, most of the prep putty-work is now completed. I built-up several areas that were paper-thin--literally: these will not be seen (mostly), and it was primarily done for peace of mind during painting and mounting. Once safely in a display cabinet, it would not have been an issue; but, they were so thin that even a glancing blow could have disastrous consequences. In short, better safe than sorry.

As a brief aside, I regularly hold cast pieces up to my worklight before commencing the Prep phase to make sure that the piece is sufficiently dense throughout. If it is, just a few seconds lost. If it isn't, this is the time to do something about it! 

And, finally, the right arm is shimmed and located. As I indicated, this concludes most of the fitting putty work on this piece. All that remains to be done is final assembly of the subassemblies and finishing, and the one or two scratchbuilt items I have planned. . . 

Until next time. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment