29 January 2014

Essential Oils

As most of you know, I am not a "paint horse"-- I tend to buy particular pigments and formula- tions, as opposed to colours. That being said, in the last few years I have added three "colours" that I believe would be indispensable to virtually any palette. These are:

  • Winsor & Newton Raw Umber Light. This has largely replaced Raw Sienna in my palette. While Raw Sienna is still essential for particular applications, Raw Umber Light is a much more versatile and diversified colour.
  • Gamblin Transparent Earth Red. What an incredibly versatile colour! This is Burnt Sienna on steroids and a strong, rich, manageable tinting agent.
  • Grumbacher Pre-Tested Nickel Titanate Yellow. This is probably more of a spe- cialty item, being a bright, light chartreuse yellow that is completely opaque. It is a pleasure to work, and you'll find yourself going out of your way to try to find applica- tions for it.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment