29 January 2014

Judge Dredd - Painting (VA): The Metallics, pt. 1

While a relatively small element of a Judge's uniform, the metallic components absolutely define the tone and presence--to say nothing of the character!--of the figure and subject.

I began with the left pauldron. This was undercoated in Polly-S Bugbear Fur (cf., the right paul- dron was undercoated with Vallejo Gold Brown). I then "scrubbed" Gunze-Sangyo Mr. Metal Gold lacquer until I achieved the depth and tone I was looking for: the pauldron was then permanently attached to the torso. This is but Step 1. Once the lacquer is cured, I will go back and create deeper tones with oils in situ; and finish it off by selectively punching-up the highlights with lacquers and printers' inks. 

More to follow. . . 

FOLLOW-UP. . . Left pauldron done! Right pauldron has been "under-stained" (read: grisaille) with a mix of Raw Umber and black.

No comments:

Post a Comment