04 January 2014

The Rhino - Painting: Intermezzo & Groundwork

Year end and the New Year festivities (hunh?!) are now behind me, so that means the countdown to February has begun and it's time to get back to work!

I decided to get the ball rolling in earnest, and permanently mount Aleksei to his display base. This is admittedly premature on my part, but given the amount of integration--both visual and physical-- demanded by the setting, it is worth the additional effort negotiating around an in-situ figure.

Once the epoxy has cured, I will begin to add the remainder of the rubble around--and over!--     the feet. Hopefully, I will have enough time today to stain the added groundwork, and begin to weather the lower extremities of the Rhino. If I can get that far, then the project can be deemed effectively concluded.

Almost there!

FOLLOW-UP. . . The rubble field is finished! I may enhance it here and there as necessary once the addenda has been stained and painted, but this will be, by and large, wrap-up tweaking.

The figure is now under the lamp to set the white glue. I expect to be able to commence staining and "washing" before dinner-time.

FOLLOW-UP (2). . . Phase I of painting has been completed! This amounted to an overall stain/ wash of dark earth tones + black as a basecoat to the drybrushing and "weathering" that will follow. So far so great. . . and yes, attaching the figure to the display base indeed was the right call!

No comments:

Post a Comment