17 June 2014

Tyrion -- Painting (III): The Face

This is where the rubber meets the road. . . 

For all its simplicity of design, this bust is a rather daunting undertaking. . . IF one is intent on a screen-accurate depiction. Of course, I fall in the latter. . . Why else do it??!!!

The main shortcoming of this offering is the likeness. In this respect it is at best a C/C-: it simply does not look like Peter Dinklage! As a caricature, perhaps; but as a portrait of the character? I don't think so. Those who have been following this project know that I spent a considerable amount of time and effort reworking the face. And while I was pleased with the work I had done, some nagging doubts remained. Fortunately, for once I decided to trust my instincts and let the painting carry the load the rest of the way. 

I thought that getting the face done would take 3-4 sessions: Session 1 is now over, and I am delighted!!! I think that it will take 2 more sessions to finish the fleshtones [UD 21.06.2014 - DONE!]; and 2-3 additional sessions to get the eyes squared away (NOTE: these are the lynch- pin to this portrait! ) [UD 18.06.14 - Session 1: Mr. Dinklage has very interesting eyes. The best description would be hazel with a strong gray bias, or gray-green-brown. As of this writing, the irises have been base- coated with acrylics. UD 19.06.14 - Session 2: Oils basecoat; preliminary highlights. UD 21.06.2014 - DONE!] After that, 2-3 sessions should get the hair done. I will then put the figure away for 2-3 weeks to see how the colours settle before wrapping it up.

Please allow me to apologize in advance, but there will be no images prior to completion. Work will be first and foremost through the week of July 14th, and by that time the bust will be on the home stretch. Hopefully, the gallery of the finished bust will make up for the dearth of ip shots.

Stay tuned!

UPDATE 18.06.2014. . . The bust has been fitted to its permanent display base.

No comments:

Post a Comment