18 August 2014

DWC’s 70mm Judge Dredd on his Mk1 Lawmaster (LE)

DWC’s 70mm Judge Dredd on his Mk1 Lawmaster is their first limited-edition release with only 100 units worldwide (I received #10!). This model is based on the iconic 80’s version of Dredd and was inspired by stories such as Block Mania and artists such as Brian Bolland and Mike McMahon.

Given what DWC has provided to date, this was a must have! Entrusted to the artistry of 3-D sculptor David Richardson, and given DWC’s attention to detail, expectations were high. . . very high. And I am happy to report that these expectations were, by and large, met!

The kit is comprised of 29(!) pieces (+ logo'ed display plinth)--24 of these dedicated to the Law- master. Ever since this offering was announced, I was most curious as to how the Judge’s super- bike was to be designed. I will be the first to admit that I was somewhat taken aback when I saw that the front and rear tire/tire "housings" were cast as two symmetrical halves/per unit. To the credit of DWC and DB Creative Moulds, it worked out amazingly well.

I for one have never liked the now-prevalent trend of over-engineering kits so as to extend mold life and perhaps draw attention away from less-than-optimal design and/or mask limited production capabilities. While it may appear simple--or rather, simplified, once dry-assembled, it immedi- ately becomes apparent that the design is genius! The undercuts required to give the impression of a layered, multi-piece kit are all there, and the kit does not suffer one iota for its minimalist approach! Nevertheless, there will be some pesky join lines to deal with that could potentially compromise the lines of the assembled Lawmaster. Comparatively, if it were polystyrene, there would be zero concerns; but given that it is resin, one best bring ones "A" game to the work- bench when assembling these pieces--and use the slowest setting superglue that you can find! 

The Mega-City superbike is the Mk1 version, and it is based on--and faithful to!--the 2000AD "blueprints" posted on the DWC FB page. Whether you agree with this particular set of blueprints vs. the countless iterations of the Lawmaster (and their riders!) published over the decades is entirely a subjective call given the limitless artistic license evinced by the talented artists at 2000AD.

Before closing, I feel that I need to point out what has proven to be the "elephant in the room": the price point. I entered the ranks of this hobby when a 54mm foot was under US$3.00, a 90mm foot was around US$15.00--and the US$ was at the top of its game. A mounted 90 (or a 154mm foot) was right at or under US$50! So to me, everything is now ridiculously overpriced!! But to claim that a £96 msrp for a limited-edition, licensed product is egregiously overpriced is petty, irresponsibly damaging, and if not a case of selective discrimination, then certainly one of out- right hypocrisy! If it is out of your price range, fine. I can understand--and respect!--that. But that does not mean it is overpriced! DWC's prices are competitive, and given the quality you are implicitly guaranteed, arguably a bargain! "Bang for the buck" to me is not the amount of raw material used, the number of pieces, the packaging, etc., but the quality of the the finished product, and whether or not it satisfies my vision of the piece going-in, and/or the character/ subject it portrays. Once assembled, there will be nothing to suggest under-engineering, short-changing, or anything along those lines with this kit.
 

I am very pleased--if not delighted!--with my latest acquisition. . . in all respects! It will be a masterpiece once it is done and it will be the centrepiece of my Mega-City display. Will I build it straight OOB? Do I ever?? Personally, I am looking forward to some tweaks here and there to the engine, etc. that will make good use of the spare parts bin, and make my one of a hundred truly one of a kind! But in the meantime, I have a particularly nefarious Dark Judge to finish . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment