15 August 2015

"The Warden of the North" - Prep: Arms & Ice

Since last night (this morning?), I have:
  • "wedged" the left elbow joint
  • tapped and pegged the left hand for repositioning
  • finished the hand openings

With the above done, it is now time to consider "Ice". Ice was a House Stark heirloom: a greatsword forged in ancient Valyria measuring close to 5' in OL, with a 42"L blade.   

To date, I have begun work on the blade blank, and I have roughly shaped the grip from walnut stock. My next step will be the cross-guard -- once that is roughed in, I will have all the main components needed to assemble the sword.

Stay tuned!

FOLLOW-UP. . . The arms are now tentatively attached by means of 1/8" tin solder. I normally do not "pin" figures, but in this instance, the need for a stable assembly upon which to construct and position Ice dictated otherwise. 

FOLLOW-UP (2). . . I began to fill the "cuts" of the repositioned left forearm and hand when something struck me as not being quite right. So I stripped away all the putty, and remeasured all the skeletal proportions: sure enough, the left forearm was too long! I had almost made a critical beginner's mistake: proportions are predicated on a nude individual, not--in this case--a fully armed one. Less than 15 minutes later, I was back to square 1, though I will not fill in the cuts until sometime layer in the week.

Also,  the cross guard is now roughed-in and I have begun to finalize the shape of Ice's blade.

UPDATE 17.08.15. . . Ice is now provisionally assembled, and final finishing has begun on the cross-guard, and--to a lesser extent--the blade. I have replaced the walnut grip with a brass tube, as the latter will allow me to make a one-piece sword (comprised of 4 components), as well as provide a tighter fit/"grip" in the hands.  

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment