24 September 2015

Sir John Holland, KG, 1st Earl of Huntingdon

With Fall upon us, and with the advent of more temperate--if not cooler--temps and change-of-season afflictions, I have been seriously stricken with a historical 'bug'.

I won't go into what prompted this malaise: let's just say that my reasons for turning my back--publicly, at least--on the historical genre are not only alive and thriving, but gathering benighted fools and their followers to its ranks in mind-numbing numbers!

But, as always, I digress. . . In the weeks and months to come, I will round-up my scattered "friends", dust them off, and [re-]immerse myself in the spectacle of the late 14th c. tournament. And as of this writing, my subject will be Sir John Holland, KG, 1st Earl of Huntingdon (and future 1st Duke of Exeter) as he would have appeared at the Smithfield Tournament in 1390.

The research phase of the project is in full-swing, and I will [hopefully] have a better idea of how it will unfold by the end of next week. . . 

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment