11 October 2015

Ned Stark - Painting: Face

Phase 1 of the face is done!

I am now approaching faces more organically--as opposed to mechanically (i.e., procedurally and/or technically). Thus, it will now take at least two sittings to complete a face, as opposed to the usual 1 + touch-ups. I am using linseed oil as my thinner, which means that I am effectively glazing. Thus I am able to capitalize on the translucency of the oils in order to create depth and introduce chromatic filtering. 

With any luck at all, the face will be all-but-done by the end of the long weekend. 

UPDATE 12.10.15. . . The basic face is now done. The remainder will largely be integrating the face with the areas deprived of light by the separate hair sections, and then applying a unifying glaze with a transparent base to meld the disparate coloration and textures. FOLLOW-UP: The right-side hair sections have been undercoated and permanently attached. There is indeed a me- thod to the engineering madness. . . WOW!

UPDATE 17.10.15. . . The left-side hair section been uc'd and permanently attached: the face is now fully framed, and I can now proceed with the finishing glazes. There is but one hair section remaining: the stray front forelock. This will not be attached until the face is completely done to my satisfaction

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment