17 November 2016

"Die Fledermaus"--Prepwork II: The Geschwaderstock

OK. . . here is where I get off the beaten path and make the figure "my own". Käte Otersdorf was a real person: she was the nurse who tended to Manfred von Richthofen when he suffered a serious head wound in July 1917. . .




Richard Andrews, the man behind Luftkrieg 1919, has come-up with a brilliant backstory to the Käte in the kit (see link in the previous posting); nonetheless, I wanted to incorporate additional elements of her "beloved Manfred". At first I considered sculpting Moritz, the Red Baron's beloved Deutsche Dogge; but I felt that given the scale, it would compete with, rather than enhance, the subject of the work. I quickly decided that the third most iconic item associated with Freiherr von Richthofen (after his red aircraft and Moritz) was the Geschwaderstock ("Wing Stick"--pictured above)! 

First off, I carefully removed the glove held in the right hand--I still intend to use it on the figure. Then, I carefully widened the grip of the right hand, finally creating a clear channel with a  3/32" (~2mm) bit. 

So far, so good. . . now comes the artefact! I settled on a piece of 2mm d. brass rod as the medi- um with which to reproduce the Geschwaderstock. While I was lightly tapering the rod, I began to notice a very organic pattern emerging. The Geschwaderstock has been represented at one ex- treme as having concentric rings down its length, to being studded. The former is definitely incor- rect, while the latter is most likely incorrect. As best I can tell, the Geschwaderstock was made from a straight length of blackthorn, with the "studs" being the de-thorned spur shoots. I do not intend to reproduce in miniature the "studs". Rather, I am leaning to a more organic, fluid appear- ance that will capture the essence of the blackthorn without distracting the viewer from the figure. 

I am about 30% into the work. . .   

UPDATE 24.11.16. . . The Geschwaderstock is now essentially done. The knob is made from MS, as are the rings representing the respective Geschwaderführer. All that remains to be done is the fine detailing and finishing. . . 

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment