05 January 2018

Old Man Carl - Prepwork 2a

In my previous post, I mentioned that as "indicated in the introductory review, I had a laundry-list of items to address in my pre-receipt evaluation of the figure. I am very pleased (and not a little relieved!) to report that the figure is pretty much good-to-go OOB!" I also indicated that I would "comment on any unexpected encounters in future posts. . ."

I will freely admit that my first unexpected encounter occurred in the process of removing the scaffolding from the figure: approx. 1/3 of the katana's tsuka decided to "snap" off. I say "snap" as it describes what appeared to have happened, but in reality, the tsuka separated. The only thing holding the tsuka in place was the scaffolding--once that was removed, the piece was free to do as it pleased. Upon closer examination, it appears that there was a micro-pause in the printing process, and the two sections were not fused.

Today, I was finishing the distal portion of the katana's saya, when the identical thing happened! 3-d printing is where resin casting was some 35 years ago, so these "incidents" should come as no great surprise. These are the equivalent of the air-bubble honeycombs of yore! Still. . . 

PS--"If you haven't replaced your burrs and cutters in a while, NOW is the time to do it!" SERIOUSLY!

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment