16 August 2012

Knight Models' The Incredible Hulk (3-Options) (KMV031)

Just received this kit (36/500) from Chuck at The Red Lancers. I've never been much of a Hulk fan until relatively recently with my introduction to Greg Pak's Planet Hulk and World War Hulk--and, of course, Mark Ruffalo's character-defining role in The Avengers.

This is KM's second Hulk release. The first one was classic Marvel, and sold out relatively quickly. I thought at the time, "Ah well. . . win some, lose some." I really wasn't too heartbroken about it, as I was less enamored of the figure than I was to have a representation of the Hulk in this manageable scale; and my conversations with people that had it were less than "glowing"--particularly about the casting quality.

I had no idea that I would get a second chance quite so quickly. This version of the Green Goliath is actually a 3-in-1: you have the option to build him as the Green, Red or Grey Hulk, depending on which head you choose; and it includes two sets of mix and match hands.

Hmmm. . . so far, so good. . . except for the price! At just under US$100.00, this is definitely--almost egregiously--overpriced! You are paying almost 50% more than a standard kit for two heads and two hands that you simply cannot use!! I will say this though: this figure is more at 90mm than the usual 65-75mm "scale" of the "normal" pieces, and it is all resin.

In any event, the pain ends there, for what you get  is pretty damn good! The sculpting is excellent; and the casting and fit are VG++ -- a solid B++/A -.

So much for the thumbnail review. I will add to this as the situation warrants; and elaborate a bit further when I post the first shots of the assembled kit: I have already joined the torso to the legs unit.

Until then. . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment