09 September 2012

From Bane to Kane. . . Solomon that is. . .

I was finally able to see this highly anticipated film (see here) last night! No, not at the cinema; but at home on PPV!!

I have never understood why this film was not released in the US! It has received both critical and popular acclaim from the UK and overseas markets, and in my most humble opinion, it is one of the best cinematic adaptations of a pulp-era S&S character I have ever seen! But perhaps Variety's review is indicative of the limited, and perhaps misplaced, perspective of the US market. . .

In step with the recent parade of three-parters, this is the first of a proposed trilogy. While I sincerely hope plans for the other two are still in the works, I am afraid all we will ever get to see is the origins prequel, if you will. This is our set-up film, with the source material, if memory serves, remaining largely untapped.

As such, it was plausible, well paced, and above all, enjoyable! In fact, my only complaints about this film were the appearance of the Union Flag on a vessel in the beginning (the movie opens in 1600; the UF would not be unfurled for another six years!) and the hasty, canned ending. Quite anti-climactic! It was as if somebody had abruptly pulled the plug on the production--or the director simply lost steam.

As I said, this movie was highly enjoyable, and if you are a fan of the genre, it is highly recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment