10 September 2012

Sith. . . Order of the Dark

I am an "average" Star Wars (hereafter SW) fan: loved Eps IV and V, was conflicted about Ep VI, and could very easily have done without the prequel trilogy (Eps. I-III). Before the hue and cry is raised, let me just say that I have begun to gain a growing appreciation for Ep VI (still don't like Ewoks or the closing), and the prequel trilogy.

That being said, this, to include the Expanded Universe, is an unequivocally rich, deep, multi-layered mythology, which like the LotR, can be approached at many levels. And in the last fort- night, I have taken my first-steps into the sub-layers of the Galaxy.

And as I am wont to do, I have begun to canvas the availability and selection of SW miniatures to amplify the scope of my enjoyment. Unless I am willing to purchase one or more of the diverse selection of available [large scale] pre-paints on the market with the purpose of stripping, possi- bly modifying, and re-painting, I am pretty much limited to Knight Models' remaining 70mm offer- ings--or sculpting them myself. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. . . (No, I have no intention at this time to knead putty in this direction, but there are certain organically/"live" armoured depictions that are most enticing. . . )

As some of you might recall, KM allowed their SW' license to lapse earlier this Summer (see here): the entire line was subsequently discontinued. As I posted earlier, this means that what- ever is out there is the last we'll see of these pieces outside of eBay. That they let their license lapse was not entirely surprising, as it appeared to me--and this has been confirmed by a number of retailers--the SW line was the poorer selling of the then-2. Which is relatively good news for those trying to make up for lost time--myself included!

In the days, weeks and months to come, I will begin to develop a very limited SW collection re- volving around the sub-theme of the Sith Lords, in particular those associated with the former Anakin Skywalker, Darth Vader. I hope you will join me, and that the more well-versed of the read- ership will chime in with encouragement or constructive criticism, as the situation demands.

"May the Force serve us well."

No comments:

Post a Comment