01 February 2014

Judge Dredd - Painting (VI): The Groundwork, pt. 1

As it is a bit late to jump into the boots and kneepads, I thought I would use the time to start work on the "groundwork". 

If you recall, this is an extensively reworked Kabuki Models’ Eagle Rock Plinth [NOTE: though still available from any number of retailers, Kabuki Models has apparently discontinued their line of plinths.] that is representative of an Eagle on the Grand Hall of Justice in Mega-City One: I made any number of enhancements that reinforce the Judicial theme.  

My vision of this presentation is that of Dredd on top of a battered, gilt stone eagle topping one of the towers of the keep of the Great Hall. While hardly original (think Batman on a gargoyle), it is most effective!

Painting would be the most challenging aspect of the execution: how to best depict weathered and battered gilt stone? For this challenge, I elected to try metallic acrylics, Andrea's to be precise. And while I have only completed Round 1 of the painting (initial gilding), I think this is going to turn out rather nicely. 

Round 2 will tackle the exposed, battered stone. . . Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment