06 February 2014

Judge Dredd - Painting (VII): Wrapping-up

The steps that comprise the wrapping-up process were launched a week ago. While there is still LOADS to be done, the sooner I got into outlining, etc. the sooner I would have an idea of what the finished product would look like and/or what needed to be done to have it look the way I envisioned it. 

30.01.2014 - I began outlining and deepening the shadows--in short, maximizing the sculptural detail and flow through visual relief, focusing on the gauntlets, the cartridge belt, and the jump- suit. And I am very, VERY pleased!!! Yes, the figure is based on the comic book Dredd, but the appearance is very believable, and the finish realistic. . . PERFECT!

04.02.2014 - Buckle undercoated. For those of you unfamiliar with the uniform of a Judge, the belt buckle is an escutcheon of the US arms on the breast of a gilt eagle. 

05.02.2014 - The white metals are done! (see here)

06.02.2014 - The white stripes on the buckle are done. The lightning-bolt reflections of the visor are all-but-done. Both are now curing under the lamp, and I will hopefully be able to proceed with the reds tomorrow. . . And to make the most of the opportunity, the daystick and the Lawgiver have been given their first dry "stain" of black. . .

07.02.2014 - The red stripes on the buckle are done. I also began to apply the tonal washes (oils) to the yellow metals, which I will then follow-up in the next 72 hrs. with a super-highlight session. And I continued the outlining and shadow-deepening, veering into the range of blacks as planned. Finally, I painted the ocular on the Lawgiver's sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment