20 February 2014

"Winter is Coming!"

I think the motto of House Stark is a most à propos title for this posting.

The subject of this review is the recently-defunct Toison Studio's "Winter Knight", a 70mm vi- gnette of a medieval knight and a wolf. . . Yeah. . . right! Whatever! This is a figure of Jon Snow, the [so-called] Bastard of Stark, and his direwolf, Ghost, sculpted by Alfonso Gozalo.

As a prelude to what will follow, I acquired this figure because the company went-under at the end of last year, and because I am a HUGE Game of Thrones fan. That being said, my expec- tations were well below-average--and I was not disappointed!

This vignette was offered in two versions: a limited-edition initial release of 50 resin castings (with white metal sword/hands and scabbard); and a mixed-media general release in white metal (the figure) and resin (Ghost, cloak, and groundwork). The kit is comprised of 11 pieces in the LE resin; 13 in the general release m-m offering. Knowing the unreliability of Spanish resin casting, I opted for the general release. 

Both the sculptural and casting quality is Fair/Fair+. I see very little difference between the cast- ings of the two versions, so I am doubly glad I opted for the m-m kit. To date, I have fitted the cloak to the figure, and assembled the direwolf--as well as filled the numerous voids in the cast- ing of Ghost's body and the sizeable gaps in the joins of its two legs to the body.

I don't anticipate any mods of any significance, save perhaps replacing the blade of 'Longclaw', and possibly discarding the paltry scabbard: if I decide to keep the scabbard, it will be replaced outright. One thing I will do is re-sculpt the boots, which as cast are quite appalling.

This is my "Dr. Doom" for this year. As such it will be a long-term project that will be worked upon when I am feeling particularly masochistic. In spite of it all, however, I am quite glad I got this kit, and look forward to adding the completed project to my collection.

UPDATE 21.02.2014. . . I have begun to work on the cloak in an attempt to reduce some of its cumbersome mass. I have also pegged the figure and transferred it to a work base. I think most of the weekend will be spent doing research--especially as the premier of Season 4 is but six weeks away!

No comments:

Post a Comment