11 September 2014

Sin - Prepwork I

Let the game begin. . . !

As I am wont to do, I first examined each and every piece carefully, noting the molding seam lines, surface aberrations and venting pips. I then dry-fit all the pieces, further noting where the joins will require additional work in order to minimize--and/or eliminate--the use of filler. As I noted in the review, there is very little work to be done beyond the norm.

Feeling an acceptable degree of familiarity with the figure, it was time to break out the grinding burrs! I first began with the holster, as I wanted to familiarize myself with the hardness and com- position of the alloy used. Secondly, I wanted the holster in the kit to accommodate her tricked- out pistol. Since the holster is noticeably smaller (suggesting the presence of a second firearm), I merely ground-out the back and bottom edges of the holster. I will further modify/detail the hol- ster (e.g., lengthen, etc.) later in the course of prepping the figure. 

With the holster behind me, it was time to tackle the "elephant in the box": the greatcoat tails
(2 pieces). As noted earlier, these are inordinately thick by design. There is obviously a painting workaround this design concession, if the boxart is any indication; but I have never been inclined to make silk purses out of sows' ears. So a little over 30 minutes later, the greatcoat tails are now ready for final finishing.

A most encouraging start!

No comments:

Post a Comment