13 December 2015

Durham Red - Painting: The Base

Since the trusty Badger was up and running, I decided to go ahead and paint the base. Not the groundwork. . . the BASE. 

You might recall me mentioning that I wanted to add a little "hmmph" to a black textured base. The base in question had definitely seen better days. There wasn't anything wrong with it per se, but the finish was somewhat weathered, as is the nature of the beast over time. So, first things first. . .

Phase 1 was refinishing the black with Vallejo Air Black: quick; easy; virtually effortless. I put the base in the oven to set and cure the paint. 

Phase 2. After about 30 minutes, I applied an overtone of VAir Scarlet: opaquely in the upper third of the base, misting progressively more transparent towards the bottom. 

My initial impression is that it was quite successful; however given the nature of acrylics, I really won't know until the paint is thoroughly cured. One aspect that I do know was successful is the muted, almost faded, nature of the matte acrylics: Red will be quite bright and saturated--albeit largely achromatic, and a muted base will create a nice visual flow towards the subject of the work. 

Regardless of what I might think, ultimately, the success--or failure!--will be determined by the viewer. . . 

FOLLOW-UP. . . Just finished buffing the base, and I couldn't be happier! Remember that acry- lics are nothing more than liquid plastic: the matte additive can be buffed-out once the paint has completely cured, yielding a very pleasing, satiny sheen. I may revisit the base once the ground- work is painted and she is further along, but I have no reservations about the current finish. 

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment