06 December 2015

Lawmaster Mk1 - Prepwork III: Headlamps

IMO, the weakest aspect of this otherwise gem of a kit are the crude headlamps. These reduce the overall quality to significantly less than it should be--and there is simply no way to paint around it! The easiest workaround would be to fill-in the perfunctory "cross-hatching", and then paint a "faux lens" (read: simulated glass) finish on the hopefully smooth and even domes.

I decided to attempt to "raise the bar" as best I could and acquired 4 lenses of the appropriate di- ameter by MV Products: 2 clear and 2 amber. MV Products are a staple AM enhancement with our military modelling and model railroading brethren--and once you have their product in your hands, it is easy to see why!

The most difficult aspect of this "enhancement" is fitting the lens: this requires grinding out the offending resin. I suggest going very slowly until finding your comfort level, and then continue only moderately faster and test-fitting often! The first lens took me about an hour, give or take; but the second lens took me about 20 minutes. Two to go. . . 

The difference is awesome!  I have yet to permanently attach the lens to the housing, as I do not want to be bothered with masking, etc. when it comes time to paint; but I might reconsider de- pending on how things progress. Regardless, this is time and money well spent!!!

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment