19 January 2016

Ned Stark - Painting: The Mantle/Cloak

If I am to be perfectly candid with you, the reader, what remains of this bust will be painted large- ly by "gut". Any linearity and/or pre-conceived structure has been discarded, and I will proceed instinctively.

As you might recall, I undercoated the outer surfaces of his mantle in a very dark bluish-grey mix, as the Stark mantle's surface flocking is a darker and richer than the underlying base fabric. The sculptor did a commendable job of reproducing the two tiers of fabric, though the painters do not appear to have been aware of this particular aspect. 

I have effectively reprised my approach in oils. I essentially basecoated the surface of the cloak in a cool, medium blue-gray, concentrating on the indented patterns, and shading and highlight- ing accordingly. At this point, I feel the base fabric is a bit too bright and "blue", but it is much easier to selectively tone things down after the fact, than the reverse. 

Once the basecoat is completely dry, the "flocking" will be applied using a suitable black mix: as of this writing, I intend to use a mix of Lamp and Mars Black. If that is too dull, I will mix a cus- tom Black using ultramarine blue and a warm umber or sienna. 

Stay tuned. . . ! 

UPDATE 20.01.16. . . The outer surface of the cloak is now done! I used the Lamp-Mars mix applied as a light "drybrush" followed by medium stippling to create a visible texture, as well as establish tonal gradients. Any follow-up work will be determined by the finish once the oils settle down. . .   

NEXT: The cloak lining and the pedestal. . .  

UPDATE 21.01.16. . . The cloak/mantle is done!! I will revisit the lining during final wrap-up to make sure that the highlights are just right; otherwise, I am VERY pleased with the progress-to-date and the results achieved. . .

Insofar as the pedestal is concerned, all but the plinth is done. At this point in time, I think the plinth will be undercoated just prior to permanently mounting the bust on its display base, and finished in situ

Movin' right along. . . 

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment