14 January 2016

Rick Grimes - Prepwork: Intermezzo

As prepwork continues, I thought I would share a few observations, etc. with you.

As stated earlier, the figure is obviously based on the Season 3 promo poster, I have come to the conclusion that the figure is actually from Season 4. Why? Elementary, my good people! There is no left pocket on the shirt!! While the shirt itself is hardly a paradigm of screen accuracy, it is hard to believe that the artist, to say nothing of the subsequent reviewers, would overlook a pock- et unless it was by design. Hence, my conclusion that this Rick is as he appeared in the first half of S4! Which depending on your sense of colour, etc., might provide some latitude re: the colour of the jeans. As of this writing, I have yet to decide whether to go with the S3 or S4 Rick.

After brainstorming the "wedgie" concept with dear friend and colleague, Rich, I have all but de- cided to scrap the idea, if only because the scale of a readily identifiable "prison bus" wedgie would dwarf the figure and provide very little to the composition and overall effect of the piece. 

Finally, I am effectively "resculpting" the jeans. Nothing major, mind you, simply "smoothing" things out to a more convincing/realistic depiction of the fabric. It would appear that 3-D design- ers are no different than traditional sculptors in that they tend to get "fold happy" at times. . .

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment