01 May 2017

Mista' J - Painting II: The Vest

Things just got serious in a serious way. . . Why? Read on. . . 

The trousers and the vest will be the most challenging, if not daunting, items on the agenda. The trousers because of the pin-striping--which I admit I am still somewhat on the fence about, but leaning towards their inclusion. The vest because of the pattern-work which I feel is a must. 

Pattern-work screams brocade to me, and brocade screams "metallic" silks. So, my Mista' J's vest will be a gold brocade. . . a gold "HA HA" brocade to be precise. And this is where things get serious. . . 

The vest has been painted in a Pale Gold printers' ink-Grumbacher Raw Umber mix. Please note that this is not your usual Grumbacher Raw Umber; but an 11ml tube I have had in my tray for well over 20 years! Think a transparent, dark Yellow Ochre!! Shading was done with Van Dyke Brown and a transparent black, while highlights were punched-up with Silver printers' ink and Zinc White. . . 

And as a foundation, it looks fantastic! Now comes the tricky part--once the base is dry, of course: creating the pattern of HA HA's across the fabric. . . 

But first. . . 

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment