29 October 2017

Mary Read -- Prepwork: Musings

With naught but buttons and buttonholes remaining on the "to-be-done" list, some thoughts about the last 11 days. . . 
  • This project has been not only superbly enjoyable, but it allows me to strike-through an entry on my figure bucket list. I had long-resigned myself to the fact that if I want- ed to do a historical reconstruction of Mary Read, I would have to do it myself.
  • This project has afforded me the opportunity to pull some dusty tomes off the shelf, and re-immerse myself in the wonderful and challenging maze that is History. If no- thing else, it takes me back to the days when historicity was a critical underpinning of every release and/or project. Sadly, that has not been the case for longer than I care to remember. . .   
  • I started with 3 of the 4 stock pieces provided (nb: there are 5 pieces in the kit, but two of the pieces are different hats; I did not use the holstered flintlock or the cocked hat). My final pieces count is 7(!): hat, head, torso, baldric buckle+tongue, ends of neckerchief (x2); and plinth.
  • This is an original figure. In the interest of complete transparency, and in acknow- ledgement of the efforts of my fellow artist and manufacturer, Roman Rux, I recognize the "foundation" of this project without hesitation. Having said that, the fact remains that the figure before me is, for better or worse, entirely my own.

Back to the bench. . . !

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment