17 October 2017

Blackbeard -- Painting: Oils III - Headwear, pt1

I have now reached the first of what I anticipate will be several watershed phases in this project: the headwear.

What do I mean by a "watershed phase". Simply that this is, or prepares for, a climactic instance that will define, or at least heavily influence, what follows. In this case, I am painting the kerchief/ headwrap and the undersides of the hat in anticipation of permanently attaching the hat before continuing with the rest of the bust.

I painted the kerchief a "dirty" yellow, using Cad-Bar Yellow Light as the base hue, modified with Williamsburg French Light Sienna. Shading was done with Raw Umber and Mars Black (re: the latter, if applied in a deliberate and controlled fashion, it will "muddy" the yellow without tipping-it to green). Think of the resulting colour as a very cool, "light" yellow ochre.

The hat, a black felt, was simply done with a proprietary mix of Lamp and Mars Black.

Once these items are acceptably dry (by week's end?), I will permanently attach the hat to the bust and begin re-evaluating--and finishing!--the face.

UPDATE 19.10.2017. . . The hat is now permanently attached, and all is well. . . As a sidebar note, I used 5-minute epoxy to attach the hat. The way I had refitted the hat resulted in an almost "snap-fit" to the head, and I had little confidence in the prospect of the hat snapping into place before the super-glue started to kick. So, I opted for epoxy: it gave me all the time needed, as well as provided a perfectly clean join. 

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment