20 June 2009

Moebius' The Mummy: Reworking the Head

With the Phantom's head all but done, I was ready to resume the finishing on the Wolf Man. . . that is, until I began examining Moebius' latest in the course of preparing the review. As I indicated:
". . . it is not a very good likeness of Karloff--and the ears are HUGE!"
I am not sufficiently familiar with the process of injection molding to speculate if the head-as-provided was a product of distortion that occurred during production; nevertheless, that would be the best way to describe what is before us.


The dorsal (back) half of the head was molded en suite with the body: the first step was to separate it with a jeweler's saw. I then glued the head halves together, and once dry, filled the head with PUR.

The right side of the head is now about 80% done; the left side has barely been touched to provide a comparative view. Note the "original" ear on the latter! I have also reduced the back of the head by about 20% to correct a noticeable parieto-occipital distortion: while cranial deformation was practiced in Ancient Egypt, this was not an aspect of the Pierce makeover.

Check back often for updates to this mini-project. . .

5 comments:

  1. Augie,

    I can certainly see the difference between what you have done on the right side and what it looks like on the left. It is filled out and is starting to look like Karloff!!! I can't wait to see this project progress!! :-):-) I also see those EARS!! WOW!! They are a bit large, but I know you correct that. Keep up the GREAT work!

    Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guy,

    I always kick myself when I don't take a photo of the unmodified piece; but I'm not about to squander an inspired moment. . .

    Everybody is raving about how good the likeness to Karloff is. I dunno. . . It certainly didn't look like Karloff to me. If for no other reason that the facial proportions were way off. . .

    The facial reconstruction is now about 70-80% done. Once done, I will continue with the ears, and finally the hair. Then I will begin working on the neck and the repositioning of the head.

    I'm in a quandary re: the coffin. Do I go full blown historical; or do I stay within the movie guidelines? Decisions, decisions. . .

    A~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Augie,

    For my two cents worth on the coffin, I would lean to the later only because I'm thinking this is your vision of this character from the film. not a real historical mummy. I say this even though the historical one might be more visually pleasing!!

    Lloyd

    Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  4. I concur 100%--if I could only find a still of the empty coffin, and/or knew where they took the inscription from. . . DAMN RESEARCH!!!!! ;-) I've got a feeling it's a relatively simple transcription in hieroglyphics of a key phrase. . .

    If I go the movie route, it will be in some ways easier; but as you noted, less striking. If I go even quasi-historical, significantly more time at the painting table knowing full well that at least half of the work will not be visible on the finished product. . .

    AAAAAARRRRRRGGGH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The facial reconstruction is now essentially done. I'm still tweaking away, but the overall work is done.

    The neck stump is done as well, and the head has been repositioned. I will modify the head shape a slight bit more in situ, but I like what I see so far.

    Depending on the overall scale, I might cut a quick mold to shrink the head 5-10%.

    That about wraps this up. I'll post some images when I am done "tweaking"; but in the meantime, it's back to Wolfie!

    A~

    ReplyDelete