22 August 2009

Monarch Nosferatu--Intermezzo: The Keys

With the head all but done; and the legs reduced, roughed-in and re-positioned, I am now able to get a preview of what the final piece will look like. Still rough, but a preview nonetheless.

This revealed a shortcoming that some might consider relatively minor, but which I feel limits the presence and atmosphere of the piece: namely, the keys. Kudos to Monarch for providing [seven] individually- and finely-cast keys (!); the problem revolves around the fact that they are all the same size--and undersized at that. Thus, they all fit perfectly on the "key ring", giving one the impression of an orderly janitor/building superintendent who took it upon himself to re-key all the locks!

I have been unable to shake this latter image for about a week, and I finally decided that I would rework the keys. I have yet to do the first key (there will be between seven and ten), so I don't know if I am going to do each one individually; or if I will make a master key, put it into rubber, and cast the required number of copies. Unless it is inordinately time-consuming (or boring!), I will attempt the former approach.

More to follow. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment