21 November 2009

"Open Channel D". . .

The pace at work is rapidly increasing as the November holidays draw nigh, and time at the bench is lamentably the first casualty. Nevertheless, I've been able to eke out small blocks of time here and there, and here is where the Illya project currently stands:
  • Pose locked-in; pants have begun to be "fleshed" out. Reduction of lower pant legs to accommodate boots begun as well.
  • Length of torso reduced to scale (~90%), as well as the length of the left forearm.
  • Wrist sockets ground-out on both forearms.
  • All sub-assemblies now pegged with 1/8" tin solder.
  • Re-sculpting of head has begun in earnest. To date, I have scaled the head (80%), reshaped the frontal area of the skull (60%), and have begun to work the chin and lips.
This will be it for a while as tomorrow I will resume the finishing work on Nosferatu and the Wolf Man.

23.11.2009--UPDATE
The head is now approximately 45% done. I am absolutely delighted with the progress, and even at this early stage, it is recognizable as David McCallum--at least to me. I still have a bit more to go (mainly the hair) before posting ip images.

27.11.2009--UPDATE (2)
First of all, I hope everybody who observes the holiday had a Happy Thanksgiving! Not much of a break given a late Wednesday at and an early Friday return to work, but at least I can look forward to leftovers in the days ahead!

But I digress. . . just a brief update to report that the head is now approximately 2/3 done! I did some refining work with the #12 blade tonight, but the major accomplishment was the addition of the lower eyelids. As most of you know, I've long ceased to place the eyeball and models the eyelids around the orbs: my preferred approach is to model and finish the eyelids, and then simply "fill the void". Much less stressful and MUCH more effective. FOLLOW-UP: The head has been located and fixed (but still removable), as has the torso to the legs, and that concludes PHASE 1 of this project. Once the putty cures, the subassemblies will be boxed and set aside to make room for Nossie and the Wolf Man. . .

"Channel D. . . Out. . . "

No comments:

Post a Comment