08 April 2012

The Silver Samurai

By now, most know that the second Wolverine solo movie – The Wolverine – after a number of setbacks, has been scheduled for release in Summer, 2013; that it will be set primarily in Japan; and that the primary villain will be Harada Kenichirō, bka Silver Samurai.

I am a huge fan of Wolverine’s stay in Japan, and the events leading up to it. The ‘Japanese hiatus’ of Logan’s life is a classic arc in the history of the character. Regrettably, Harada’s namesake armour has provided a negative consistency. This I attribute to an at-that-time understandable ignorance of the rich history and variety of Japanese armour; and a complacency that was satisfied by the stereotypical pastiche that would be identified with the Silver Samurai’s costume.

The film is still in pre-production, so there is nothing in the way of leaks or sneak-peeks to draw from. While some may see this as a hindrance, I see this as an opportunity! What would a canonical, albeit “historically accurate”, Silver Samurai look like?

If the Muses grace me, the Silver Samurai might be the very subject that would allow me to bring my historical and non-historical passions to the fore. I have tentatively begun my research. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment