15 July 2014

Judge Death - Painting (VIII): Groundwork

15.07.2014 - The groundwork has been undercoated (Vallejo Medium Sea Grey), and a grisaille of Van Dyck Brown (oils) has been applied to integrate the groundwork to the display base, as well as get an idea of the tonal values to strive for.  

16.07.2014 - The first drybrushing (oils) session is in the can. . . This establishes the basic tona- lity within the various textures. I will let this set until the weekend, when I can hopefully begin to work on the battered, gilt stone eagle. As with Dredd, this will be the most challenging aspect of the execution: how to best depict weathered and battered gilt stone? 

17.07.2014 - Phase 1 of the painted gilding is now done. The overall tones might be somewhat darker than I had hoped; but as a "base coat" I think I am just about where I want--and need!--to be. I will probably start working-up the colours tomorrow, and hopefully be all-but-done by the end of the weekend. 

21.07.2014 - Painting of the groundwork is now essentially done. Finalization will take place once the figure is permanently attached.

No comments:

Post a Comment