01 January 2019

A New Year. . . A new Subject Category

First of all, best wishes for a happy, healthy, and prosperous 2019! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

I'm not going to rant about the state of our hobbies--this is the poster-child of subjectivity; and my views won't--and shouldn't!--have any bearing on how you perceive--or exercise--your segment/s of our chosen past-time. À chacun son goût . . .  

Personally, I continue to distance myself from the "traditional" approaches to the hobby--and that includes all the peripheral activities associated with the assembly and finishing of military minia- tures and scale models. I'm not quite where I want/need to be, but I am getting within spitting dis- tance. In other words, philosophically, I have just about come full circle to where I was when I first embarked on this overall rewarding journey 55+ years ago.

I am hoping that two of my latest endeavors will help me get across the finish line. And both of them, 1/35th scale AFVs, belong to a category that I have tentatively name "Hollywood". This category will include scale-modelling projects whose subjects have been adapted to the "small" or "big screen". For example, the Sherman in Fury; or 007's Aston Martin DB5, would be prime candidates for inclusion.

So much for introductions. I will begin populating this category in the days to come. . .

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment