15 October 2019

White Walker - Painting I: Oils

There is still some work to be done with the acrylics, but I wanted to proceed with the oils to see if my plan had merit. And I am delighted to report that it did!

The oils were applied in two fashions: glazing and stippling. I first glazed the indicated areas with blue-green overtones: this served as a cool unifying gradient that provided some contrasting re- flective depth. Once satisfied, I began stippling a textured overlay with Flake White. This is very much Phase I, and I foresee at least two more layers: 1) a warmish overtone; and 2) a final uni- fying overlay of a stippled white made into a translucent "paste" with Dorland's Wax. 

More to follow. . .  

16.10.2019--Phase II:
  • A. Warmish overtones. These were selectively applied with Transparent Red Earth muted with W&N Raw Umber Light, blending carefully. 
  • B. I decided to have two applications of the "unifying white". The first layer will be slightly-thinned Zinc White, essentially glazed. Once I am satisfied, I will proceed with the stippled Flake White "paste", applied to punch-up the highlights and create   a granular surface.

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment