02 May 2020

White Ape of Barsoom-2: Painting (1)

As with the first foray into Barsoomian fauna, I laid out a rather diverse palette of oils, and just went at it. . . and as in most "free-form" applications, at least with me, I am very pleased! 

Whereas in the first go-round, the diversity of organic tones throughout was a challenge to pre- serve in the course of the shading and highlighting processes, this time that will be a virtually inconsequential concern. 

One of the reasons for this is that I have "sectioned" the figure for painting. Today, I did the entire first phase of the lower third of the body. Before proceeding with final highlight glazes, and defin- ing tonal shifts, I will let the Phase 1 application dry to where it will accept an overlay of paint without compromising the integrity of the "basecoat".

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment