22 June 2013

The Vulture -- Prepwork: Phase (1)

To quote Ringo Starr, "It don't come easy. . . "

With two figures in the mix, the SC was getting rather grungy, so I figured I'd scrub-out the Vulture bust, and go a second round in a fresh batch of SC. The scrub-out all-but-finished stripping the figure, but it also revealed areas of blue-green in the deepest undercuts. Hmmm. . .

At first I thought that the molds had given-up the ghost. Not a problem, as peeling and picking torn, trapped rubber is old hat for me. But it wasn't rubber--at least I don't think so. As I tried picking it out, it began to look--and feel--more and more like USC Duraglas Fiberglass Body Filler, and this is a whole different ball game. On the plus side, the affected areas are 1) relatively accessible; and 2) on the whole, not visible. On the minus side, it is additional work, and some rather delicate precision work may lie ahead.

FOLLOW-UP. . . I don't know with any degree of certainty if it is Duraglas Fiberglass Body Filler; but if not, it is something similar--it is definitely not rubber! What it is is a 2-part adhesive/filler compound that has been used to permanently attach the bust portion of the sculpture to the wings!!! BRILLIANT!!!

While this will entail a bit more prepwork, I am definitely looking forward to refinishing the join, which will allow me to paint both sections separately and seamlessly attach them once done.

You gotta love this hobby!

No comments:

Post a Comment