27 June 2013

Oberschütze Senfgas -- Prepwork: Phase (1)

As you can well imagine, the OOB/stock option didn't stand much of a chance. Granted, the mods are relatively limited, but it is somewhat involved.

As I mentioned in the opening posting, the left side of the mask will be--has been--modified. While I certainly understand the decision to mold the unbroken left lens of the mask en suite, it just didn't look right to me. . . too much of a "Two-Face" air about it. 

To date, I have removed the unbroken lens in its frame intact, finished the rough back, and restored the ground away mask with MS before resetting the lens. Once the restored mask has cured, I will pop the lens off, grind away the resin lens, and finish the frame. Then I will make a new lens from clear PS, and suitably distress it -- I am undecided to what extent it will be damaged. I am also undecided as to how much of the face behind the lens will be built out: intact eye? avulsed eye?? ruptured eye???

I am also considering blistering the exposed skin, but I have yet to decide whether this embellish- ment will be a good "fit" given the relatively limited amount of exposed flesh.

In the meantime, the research of insignia and helmet continues. . . 

Good times. . . 

UPDATE. . . The resin lens frame is, not surprisingly, somewhat delicate and challenging to handle--and relatively "crude" for this scale. Thus, I am in the process of making a replacement frame from a metal washer. So far, so good; though I may yet settle on the original resin frame. Stay tuned. . .  

FOLLOW-UP. . . The metal replacement lens frame has been completed -- it looks AWESOME! So much so, that I am going to make a second one to replace the partial right frame. Movin' right along. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment