17 April 2017

Hptm. Walther Karjus--Painting II: Breeches

While I wait for the leggings to dry another day (or two), I thought I'd work my way up and tackle the breeches. . . 

Feldgrau is not exactly the most exciting colour to paint--anymore than khaki is. But I think a lot of the "dullness" is due to the literally formulaic approach. Feldgrau is an umbrella term for a wide variety of colours, with virtually endless variability depending on the dyes, the dyeing process, the quality of the fabric, and the exposure to the elements. Most painters begin with Payne's Grey (PG) for any permutation of grey: I haven't used PG save as a targeted convenience since I can't remember when! Instead, I will revert to the original formulation of PG (Prussian Blue + Yellow Ochre + a "crimson") and modify accordingly. In this instance, I added Viridian Green to the mix! 

Your modifiers will largely be determined by the colours your Feldgrau will have to play off, and the chromatic flow you want to achieve. Formulae are irrelevant: knowledge of colour and your vision of the finished piece will determine your palette!

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment