20 April 2017

Hptm. Walther Karjus--Painting II: Coat

With the uniform "settling down" nicely, it was time to move on. . . Rather than lose momentum with the left "forearm" as originally planned, I went straight for the flight coat--and Phase I is essentially done!

This was fun to do. I went for a warm light grey woolen effect that would be framed nicely by the black wool lining to follow. After blocking in my highlights and shadows, I then stippled the mid- tones with raw umber, and brought-up the highlights by stippling zinc white and Parchment--quite effective and convincing!

I will proceed with Phase II once the base application is dry-to-the-touch.

Stay tuned!

UPDATE 22.04.17. . . Phase II is now DONE!!! The remainder of the outer coat will be addressed during final finishing. . . In the meantime, I will begin to focus my attention on the "framing ele- ments" of the coat: the wool lining and the fur collar. To this end, I have basecoated the lining with successive washes of Van Dyke Brown.

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment