05 April 2017

Negan - Prepwork IIA: Lucille, pt. 1

For those of you who are not TWD fans, Negan is one bad hombre--especially if you consider his partner-in-crime, "Lucille". "Lucille" is something that would make a WWI British trench raider salivate uncontrollably: a 32" baseball bat whose business-end has been wrapped in barbed wire! Still with me?. . . 

Well, Eaglemoss decided to cast Lucille in high-tin white metal. Not a bad call. . . just--at least in my sample--appallingly executed! Badly cast, badly finished, with absolutely zero considera- tion for the shrinkage differential between the two mediums. 

Any reclamation of the figure sculpt (i.e., the project before you) would depend on whether or not I could scratchbuild/carve a satisfactory replacement for Lucille. She was THE potential deal breaker! So last night, I scaled-down Lucille, cut a 1.75" piece of 3/16" birch dowel, and started carving to see if it was doable as far as I was concerned. This afternoon I completed Phase I of the reduction. . . 

More to follow. . .

FOLLOW-UP. . . Phase II is now well underway--and I am delighted! Save for continuing the sur- face finishing, I will put Lucille aside until I decide how to go about the barbed wire. . . 

UPDATE 06.04.17-- Lucille is now essentially done! I'm not saying that I'm ready to move to Louisville and launch a new career, but I am VERY pleased! The barbed wire is next!!

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment