16 September 2010

Knight Models' Gambit (KMV007)

I've just received my second Knight Models offering, and I regret to say they are 2 for 2--and not in a good way.

As a former resident of the "Big Easy" and an X-Men fan, how could I not add "Le Diable Blanc", Remy LeBeau, better known as Gambit, to my collection. It is masterfully sculpted by Jérôme Renaud--unfortu- nately, the production values continue to disappoint, perhaps even decline.

I received issue #496/500. Inside the sealed, collectible tin box were 7 pieces, two comprising the base. Comparing the casting quality to what is available in the marketplace, I would grade it as a C/C- -- a slight drop from the earlier reviewed Iron Man. Needless to say, I am less than thrilled.

This go round, the metal is noticeably softer than what we might expect. In fact, I would advocate special care while handling the figure during clean-up and assembly--it is that soft! There is an inordinate amount of medium-deep pitting and rough texture throughout the casting--mostly due to inadvertent contact with other pieces. Seam lines are minimal, yes; but overall fit is F+/G-. And in spite of the seemingly spacious box, the fact that they include a useless, 2-pcs., black plastic pedestal with "MARVEL Universe" screened on it in white, along with the relative softness of the metal, means that the pieces are cramped and thus invariably dinged.

The one-piece torso and trench-coat provides amble evidence that the molds are being pushed beyond their viable life. Not only was there burn-out along the waist-belt, but the trailing edges were virtually devoid of any detail: as much due to casting woes, as feeble attempts to salvage a sub-par casting. If the mold were holding-up, it would have been a no-brainer to throw this piece back in the pot, and pour another one. But if it wasn't. . .

Fortunately, the detail pieces once again give us a peek at the casting capabilities of KM. In spite of minor bumps and dings, these are solid A/A- castings, and given that these are the smaller items, spare us a considerable amount of pain and aggravation.

As before, one of the reasons I am not outright vitriolic in this review is that I had my own notions for Monsieur LeBeau prior to purchase. I intend to have Gambit kneeling, so that takes care of the wonky trench-coat tails. And the softer metal makes cutting and the reanimation of the right leg infinitely easier. Both of these major steps have already been accomplished. . . Laissez les bons temps rouler, cher!

Before closing. . . will the third time--and an early casting!--be the charm?! I sure do hope so, 'cause KM has just released one of my Marvel must haves: the Green Goblin! This might not appeal to the purists as it is based on the Marvel Knights' Spider-man, an edgier rethinking of one of the Marvel mainstays and his supporting cast, but it is just what I was hoping for! Stay tuned. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment