29 September 2011

Oðindestroyer - Introduction

It has been a VERY good Summer at the local cinema for Superhero fans! I have not seen GL, but I have seen the three Marvel releases: all different--but all VG+, or better!

For myself, the biggest surprise was Thor. As I have told several friends, it is--IMHO--the best of the prequels that collectively set the stage for next year's release of The Avengers. Don't get me wrong. . . the Iron Man films are still my favourites, but there was a very different dynamic, pace, and purpose at work with these.

But I digress. . . One of the more memorable "characters" in Thor was the Destroyer, Oðin's own, personal armour automaton. Those who wish a more in-depth background of the character can check out the Wiki entry.

The Destroyer is essentially lifeless until animated by the life-force of a sentient being. To the best of my knowledge, the only time that the Destroyer armour has been "worn" was when Oðin donned it to deal with Thor in the one-shot, Thor: Man of War (2008). There is some very inspirational art in this issue, and given what I knew about the movie when it was released, I was hoping they might take a brief detour in this direction. Alas, no, but it was probably for the best.

As you can probably well-imagine, the hobby-and-collectibles biz immediately gravitated to the character of the Destroyer. Surprisingly, one of the companies was Knight Models, with their first--and only release to date--in their "Tales of Asgard" series.

This kit (#109/500) was recently presented to me as a gift. Was I excited to receive it? YOU BET! Excited and grateful. Do I feel the same after having spent a week or so with it? Obviously I am ever-grateful for the thoughtful generosity manifested; but the excitement has been tempered considerably.

Full review to follow in the days to come. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment