07 October 2011

Oðindestroyer (I) - The left arm w/ helm; sabatons; Oðinsword

As I mentioned in the last posting, the helm has been hollowed out. In anticipation of what followed, I also cleaned-out and "squared" the left sight.

Well. . . since my last posting, I popped-off and took apart the left arm. This allowed me to rework the animation of the same, as well as integrate the helm with the arm, which are now a single unit. The helmet was pegged to the metacarpals with a piece of copper wire, but not before the ventral surface of the latter was reduced to nothing. This will allow me to model a more natural, animated hand, actually cradling the helm. I have roughed-in the fingers of the gauntlet, and restored the proximal lamina of the manica. My allusion to this specialized item of Roman armour is not made lightly, as the best way to visually describe the Destroyer within a historical context is as a crupellarius.

The left arm is now in the oven curing. Once it is done and cooled, I will rework the join of the arm to the shoulder plates unit--essentially creating a deeper ball joint to facilitate a more stable join.

More to follow. . .

UPDATE - 08.10.2011. . . Finishing the left arm has begun. Perhaps one--or two?--more putty sessions to get everything just so; but definitely over the hump. More importantly, I just transferred the figure to its working base. I will have to resculpt the feet, however, as these appear to have suffered disproportionate shrinkage (lateral compression) in the casting process. WIP images to follow shortly. . .

UPDATE - 09.10.2011. . . The feet (sabatons) have been roughed-in and Phase 1 reduction has been completed. . . the difference is night and day!

UPDATE - 10.10.2011 . . . When we last heard of the Oðinsword, the blank was curing in the oven. Since then, I have added the tang and the quillons; roughed-in the pommel; and the blade is now ~75% finished. The pommel (and whatever of the grip will be visible) will be attached to the hand; the blade/quillons unit will be a separate piece that will be attached to the hand via the tang.

No comments:

Post a Comment