19 December 2011

ALVH-Painting -- Undercoating

Just completed undercoating the "darks" on Abe--straightforward; no surprises.

Well, no surprises but one. I used Reaper Master Series paints for the first time, and I couldn't be happier! Smooth, high saturation, superbly tolerant of thinning, mix well with Vallejo--and no glossy spotting or random glazed patches. As I understand it, their formulae include a flow enhancer, as well as an agitator in the bottle: it used to be a metal skull, but there was apparently some concern re: the metal v-à-v toxicity, so it got switched to a plastic ball. Either way, great initiative!

I am particularly taken with their Pure Black (#09037). This is a deep, warm black that yields varied tones depending on the number of coats applied.

If--WHEN!--I need to replace my acrylics, Reaper will definitely be on the short list.

Back to the bench!

PS--Face is now undercoated.

UPDATE-20.12.2011... Lincoln is now fully undercoated. NEXT: Oils!

No comments:

Post a Comment