20 January 2020

"The Face of Crime" - Final Finishing

I am finally on the home stretch. . . !

I am now about half-way through final finishing. Most of the casting seam work has been com- pleted, and I have just about wrapped-up scribing the garments seam-lines where required. 

Which brought me to the final corrective measure to be taken. . . You might recall my comments regarding the coarseness of the aluminum filler used by Eaglemoss. While I described the issue, I did not mention how to best address it--thankfully it is quite simple. 

Firstly, sand the surface as smoothly as possible--I prefer using 3M's Metal Finishing Pad (you can also use steel wool of an appropriate grade, depending on the durometer of the resin). Wipe the surface clean with a damp cloth and let dry. Then, carefully brush G-S Mr. Hobby's Mr. Surfa- cer 500 on the affected areas. Mr. Surfacer is a self-leveling, liquid filler/primer that will eliminate the surface irregularities caused by the coarse filler. Allow to dry overnight, and then lightly sand (400G) until you achieve the desired results. You may have to repeat the process several times before you are satisfied--be patient. . . and uncompromising! [NB: I like to slightly thin the Mr. Surfacer with the proprietary thinner; however, it usually requires at least two sessions to get the desired results.]

And that's where I am now! I will hopefully have the surface finishing of the affected areas completed by eod tomorrow. Once that is done, I can schedule priming. . . 

Stay tuned!

FOLLOW-UP. . . The surface-finishing mentioned above is just about done. . . I feel the 'canvas' would benefit from at least one more surfacing session, and I hope to have that done by eod tomorrow. . . DONE

UPDATE -  21.01.2020. . . Mista J should be ready for priming by the weekend. I still have to do some upgrade/enhancement detailing on the face/head, but this can be set aside until a suitably opportune time. Aside from that, all that remains to be done this week is final finishing and giving the figure a thorough once over. . .

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment