27 January 2020

"The Face of Crime" - Painting: The Head

With the body essentially undercoated, I was at a fork in the road: break out the oils on the body--or the head?  I opted for the latter.

The head was primed with Tamiya Fine Surface Primer-White. This would serve double-duty as primer and undercoat. And as I mentioned in the Priming posting, I intended to treat the head as a stand-alone 'sub-project'. . .

Phase 1 (basecoating the face) of the head is now done. This was an interesting--and enjoyable!--exercise in capturing the effect of a flayed face. I have followed the "comic" effect, as striving for realism would be not be very appealing.

Phase 2 will entail u/c'ing the hair DONE and the eyes DONE, as well as "highlighting" the white of the face IP and the teeth. . .

Stay tuned. . .  

UPDATE -  28.01.2020. . . The face is all-but done! I kept a loose, fluid, multi-media approach along the lines of my approach to Jessica, the Queen of the Prom. . . and I am very pleased!! The Joker is one of the few subjects where the head is decidedly the defining aspect, and this iteration of the Clown Prince of Crime takes this up more than a few notches. Thus it is easy to see why I elected to start with the face! 

I will tackle the eyes next; and once they are done to my satisfaction, I will proceed with the shirt (and waistcoat) as a preamble to permanently attaching the head. . . 

More to follow. . .  

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment