08 February 2020

"The Face of Crime" - Groundwork

To date. . .

Base selection. Check.  The one drawback to not attending shows is the inability to hand-select display bases for future projects, and have the opportunity to spitball your ideas with an individual who is not only a master woodworker, but an accomplished miniaturist.

I roughly knew how I wanted to portray Mistah J, but did I have a base that would accommodate my concept? I thought that I did, but after two evenings of cursory inventorying of my base sup- ply, I was "close, but no cigar". I suppose "third try's the charm", cause last night I found precise- ly what I was looking for! A maple burl with an appropriately rough finish that would permit me to modify the burled area to my specs. An hour or so with hammer and chisel and I was good to go!

Compositional design. Check. Now that I had the base, it was time to finalize the design of the groundwork. I broke out the relevant source material, and decided that a canon-true depiction would not work in 3d. So I proceeded down the path of creative adaptation, and this morning I concluded the design work, templates and all.

Once my materials arrive, I can begin work on the groundwork proper. . . 

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment