20 June 2021

Thraex - Prep 1

I'm about halfway through assembly, and I can honestly say this is a truly magnificent plastic figure kit! The design/engineering is noteworthy, and the fit is overall VG+++. The only reason I do not give "fit" an excellent rating is simply because this is a plastic kit: any shortcomings are due to the me- dium, not the design or the production.

My only reservation revolves around the length of the shield. The quad parmula, the rectangular shield, is, IMO, a bit too long. I am not aware of any surviving examples of quad parmulae, so my objection is based on my perception of the size of the item, and esthetics. In others words, these are subjective reservations.

In closing, I will point out that two shields are provided: the quad parmula, in effect a short scutum; and a round parmula. Thraeces are usually depicted with quad parmulae, but there appears to be some evidence to suggest the use of a round shield. What I am hoping is that the inclusion of a round shield would indicate the release of a hoplomachus in the [near] future.

Back to the bench!

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment