15 October 2022

Wight - Painting: Armour--Phase I

Rather than proceed with the fabrics and leather, I decided to get the armour out of the way--and cured, thus allowing me to use the black of the tunic to "cut-in" any stray metallics.

The armour was basecoated with G-S Mr. METAL COLOR Dark Iron lacquer. Rather than let the initial coat set for a few minuted, I started bringing-up the metallic finish immediately by 'buffing' the just-applied lacquer with a weathering brush. I would note that this was a fresh bottle of Dark Iron that would normally require 2-3 individual coats of lacquer. 

As indicated, this was a metallic basecoat. Once it cures overnight, I will apply a worn overcoat of black (oils) and begin introducing the rusted elements--and the tonal flow--of the plate.

Please note that the plackart has yet to be attached, so these steps will be repeated once the plackart is in place. . . 

Stay tuned!

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment