16 October 2022

Wight - Painting: Intermezzo -- The colour scheme

Though I personally think I am not quite on the home-stretch, I am damn close. . . !

I have just finished [dry-] fitting the plackart, and for the first time there is a chromatic totality about the figure before me. Which brings me to the subject of this posting. . . 

The colour guide suggests a predominantly beige (cloth) and light grey (skin) colour scheme. Even if the beige is deepened and varied in tone throughout the garments, it is a rather uninspired scheme. The wights on the whole were largely blue-biased achromatic on screen, but unless we want to paint a blue-biased B&W figure, this is neither very appealing, nor will it work very well. SOOOOOO. . . it is time to do the research within the context of the source scene in the finale of Season 4 ("The Children"), cross-referencing Martin's description in A Dance with Dragons

Given his overall state of decomposition, this is a "mid-decomp": it has been dead for about 6 months to 2 years. Which means he could have been originally one of two peoples: a 'wildling', or a Ranger of the Night's Watch. Since 'wildlings' are not wont to possess armour and prefer multi-layered furs for their garments, I settled on a Ranger. Which means that his garments--and equipment!--would have been "black".

Note that this will be anything but an achromatic figure, as you shall soon see! I will probably custom-mix my blacks to give myself a little more flexibility in my tonal shades, as well as provide a more vibrant appearance to the figure.

Stay tuned!!

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment